Sunday, January 8, 2012

A Commitment

So, in an effort to stay more connected with family and friends, Mike and I are going to commit to updating our blog at least once a week. Let me rephrase that. I am committing to either Mike or I updating our blog at least once a week. I haven't told him yet...Okay, I just did, and he said, "It sounds-fun."

The latest changes in our lives have mostly to do with our boys. Harry started Kindergarten this year, and Artie started preschool. I have 7.5 hours of "free time" per week. I KNOW, right? What can I possibly do with all that time? It ain't easy, but I fill it right up. At first it felt strange to be without both the boys, but I eventually adjusted. I suppose I should mention that Harry is in half-day Kindergarten, which means he is at school for 2.5 hours, and I volunteer in his classroom once or twice a week. He probably sees more of me than before...So really the adjustment shouldn't have been much, but it was for me. I was accustomed to being with my boys every day, all day. When Harry went to preschool, it changed a little, but now with both of them gone, it feels very different. I am suddenly faced with the realization that I have to recreate what I am during the day. For the last six years, I have been completely focused on being wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend. Anything else was just a short-lived distraction. It took me by surprise that I had lost myself somewhere in between giving birth and becoming the Tooth Fairy. More on that another time...

So the second big change is our entry into the world of mite hockey. I will admit I was intimidated at first, not coming from a hockey family, not even watching hockey until my second date with Mike. (I had some pretty definite stereotypes established, I admit.) Luckily, Mike knows what he's doing, I have been proven wrong, and Harry is having more fun than I imagined he would. His skating is getting better, and he's becoming pretty muscular. Oh, and the hair. He hasn't had a haircut in four months because he's trying to grow "Hockey Hair." Unfortunately this recent style change directly coincides with a lice outbreak in the other Kindergarten classroom. Mike and I spend a fair amount of time examining his long locks for any sign of the enemy.

Artie. He is a ball of energy and emotions unlike anyone we've ever seen. He's enjoying his preschool very much, and learning how to get along in a large group. He's found a new best friend to replace "Funny Eli" from last year. Yes, that is what he called him. I don't know if the child was particularly funny, or if he just simply laughed at everything Artie did. Once of the best things about Artie's preschool is the music. He comes home almost each time with a new song. Usually the words get a little mixed up, but that's part of the charm. This fall, Artie played floor hockey through the YMCA. Mike was excited to coach his team, but as most things go with four year-olds, things change rapidly. Artie spent most of his time sliding on his knees, and performing various victory celebrations even though his team scored two goals in seven games. He couldn't have been happier, especially when his Lenz aunts, uncles, cousins and nana and papa came to watch him. He really pulled out some of his best facial expressions and moves. Mike has paved the way for the discussion about no longer coaching floor hockey.

I'm looking forward to getting this blog back up and running. Who put ducks on our homepage? Seriously. I have some work to do.

Blessings,
Kristi

1 comment:

MKEJill said...

It's wonderful knowing what's going on in your life between Corn Fest and the Alumni weekend ;)